Thompson's Education Compliance Expert | Administrator's Guide to Federal Programs for English Learners
What is an eBook?
An electronic book (also e-book, ebook, digital book) is a digital publication that you can download and view on your computer, laptop, or mobile device. Now you can easily reference your content from the experts at Thompson anytime, anywhere.
|On Your PC or Laptop||On Your Apple Products||On Other Mobile Devices|
|View your Thompson eBooks on your computer with Adobe® Digital Editions., a free, lightweight platform that takes less than a minute to download and install over a broadband connection. Simply install it to your computer prior to downloading your Thompson eBook.||View your Thompson eBooks on your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with the Bluefire Reader (available in the Apple App Store). Simply authorize your app with your Adobe ID and transfer your Thompson eBooks to your device using the iTunes file sharing feature.||Thompson offers the .ePUB format, which is readable on all devices that support the Adobe's .ACSM file. You can view Thompson eBooks on your Sony Reader, Nook, Blackberry, Android, and others. For a full list of mobile devices, see Support Devices.|
STANDING ORDER PROGRAM
on this order with enrollment in
our Standing Order Program!
You're invited to enroll in Thompson's Standing Order program which entitles you to a 20% discount on this purchase and the purchase of all future editions of this publication.
As a member of the Standing Order Program you will automatically receive future editions of this publication for a 30-day risk free review every time we update it so that you are always kept current. If you decide to keep the new edition, you'll pay the then current price. If not, you can return the product within 30 days of receipt absolutely risk free. Thompson will even pay return shipping if you call 1-800-677-3789. It's that simple, and you'll always be kept up to date.
Quantity Pricing Information.
To receive a special rate for 10 or more copies,
please call 1-800-424-2959 ext 8316.
Thompson's Education Compliance Expert | Administrator's Guide to Federal Programs for English Learners offers straightforward analysis and insight for state and local education agencies to improve their services for English learners (ELs). The guidance is culled from decades of experience in the field and responds to practitioners’ frustrations about the lack of a clear explanation of EL services. Teachers, principals, administrators, and program directors can use this as a go-to resource for cutting through the confusion around EL rules and responsibilities.
- Receive expert guidance — Written by Ellen Forte Ph.D. – one of the nation’s top experts on English language learners and federal policy, Dr. Forte’s work focuses precisely on providing technical assistance to states and districts to help them identify effective ways to comply with federal requirements and provide the best services possible for ELs.
- Maximize funds to serve bilingual students with in-depth explanations and analysis so you can make your funds work for you.
- Answer any question and take immediate action with the forms, charts, sample notices and checklists provided with the manual.
- Save money and avoid common pitfalls with concrete examples to help you find the best practices for your size, location, funding sources and EL population.
- Make the best decisions for your program. We answer all our critical questions so you can choose the best path for your district.
- Receive email alerts so that you can have instant notice of new laws, updates on key administrative changes, court cases, and other important news.
- Contact our subject matter experts with unanswered questions — a special resource for subscribers.
- Search by keyword, topic or publication title with our powerful search engines – available to online customers only.*
With Thompson's Education Compliance Expert | Administrator's Guide to Federal Programs for English Learners, you can:
* Only available to customers with an online subscription.
Thompson's Education Compliance Expert | Administrator's Guide to Federal Programs for English Learners will enable you to:
- Stay ahead of the game with instant updates as soon as important changes happen. We’ll get breaking news and developing issues to you right away!*
- Reduce your risk of noncompliance with tricky U.S. Department of Education regulations by consulting our wide array of expert analysis and suggested best practices — the key to compliance is staying informed!
- Find the answers to your most pressing questions quickly with our powerful search engines.*
- Resolve your own unique situations with instant access to our subject matter experts.
- Receive Spotlight on Education Intelligence — An email newsfeed in your in-box every two weeks, these articles highlight insight from some of the nation’s leading education professionals. You’ll get authoritative information on hot topics in Title I and grants management that will keep you abreast of the latest compliance issues and best practices to help you avoid audit findings and potential penalties.*
- Quickly consult federal laws and regulations via CaseMaker® — a continually updated collection of primary sources including federal and state statutes and regulations. Of course, the laws and regulations also are fully searchable.*
- Access an online Policy Letter Database — Easily search “policy letters” from the U.S. Department of Education to answer your toughest questions. This collection of communications with state and local education officials cannot be found elsewhere.
- Review our continually updated Q&A Database — as questions arise in the field or arrive in our inbox, we track down the answers and convert them into Q&As that address practical problems faced by your peers.
- Receive Professional Development — Specially selected webinars for your own professional development are available for no cost as part of Thompson’s Education Compliance Expert. Federal Reporting Requirements for Education Grants — “Cloud” Accountability Has Arrived! is just one example. Plus, you’ll have access to handouts and related materials you can use to train your staff and other managers in your organization.*
- And more!
* Only available to customers with an online subscription.
About Your Online Subscription
Your annual subscription includes electronic updates, news, analysis, training tools and forms at no additional charge for the 12-month subscription period. If you have any questions about your subscription, please contact Client Services at 800-677-3789 or by e-mailing email@example.com
About Your Online/Print Subscription
Your annual subscription includes print and electronic updates, news, analysis, training tools, forms and more at no additional charge for the 12-month subscription period. If you have any questions about your subscription, please contact Client Services at 800-677-3789 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
About Your Print Subscription
Your annual subscription to The Administrator’s Guide to Federal Programs for English Learners includes published updates at no additional charge for the 12 month subscription period. If you have any questions about your subscription, please contact Client Services at 800-677-3789 or by e-mailing email@example.com
Ellen Forte, Ph.D, is a nationally respected authority with nearly two decades' experience conducting research and providing technical assistance to state and local education agencies in the successful interpretation and implementation of education policies. Dr. Forte's work centers on standards, assessment and accountability, with a particular emphasis on the creation and implementation of fair and meaningful systems for English language learners and students with significant cognitive disabilities. Currently, she holds seats on the assessment Technical Advisory Committees for three states and Puerto Rico, and is Principal Investigator for three assessment validity studies, all funded by grants through the US Department of Education. She is also the chief policy advisor to the National Deaf Education Center at Gallaudet University on its implementation of standards, assessments, and accountability mechanisms as required under the 2008 Education of the Deaf Act, and contributes regularly to the education field via conference presentations, commissioned articles and monographs, and web-conference presentations.
Dr. Forte is the President and founder of edCount, LLC, a Washington D.C.-based boutique education consulting firm providing technical assistance and professional services to state and local education agencies, advocacy groups, and other education organizations. edCount is a federally-registered, woman-owned small business, with a focus on federal and state education policy, students with disabilities, and English language learners.
Molly Faulkner-Bond is a policy associate at edCount LLC, where she supports Dr. Forte and her team of senior associates. Ms. Faulkner-Bond earned her bachelor's degree at Harvard University, where she graduated, magna cum laude, in 2006 with an A.B. in Philosophy and a certificate from the university's Mind, Brain, and Behavior program. She is a published writer who has researched, written, and edited texts on philosophy, travel, and popular culture. At edCount, Ms. Faulkner-Bond directs communication and editorial projects and provides support on research and technical assistance projects as needed.
Sara Waring, Ph.D., is a Senior Associate at edCount LLC with over 20 years' experience serving ELs and the adults who support them. In her career as an education professional in South Dakota, Dr. Waring's roles have included: an ESL teacher at the elementary, middle, and high school levels; district-level coordinator of a professional development program to train ESL and mainstream teachers; Director of Federal Programs and Grants Management for the Sioux Falls Public School District; and State Director of Title III at the South Dakota Department of Education. Dr. Waring has also served as an officer in the National Association of State Title III Directors, and is an assistant professor at South Dakota State University, where her ongoing work centers on instructing pre-service teachers and graduate students on teaching English as a second language, and differentiating content instruction for ELLs. In 2008-2009, Dr. Waring participated in a roundtable discussion and follow-up meetings specifically addressing Native American and Alaskan Native Children in Schools.
Diane Staehr Fenner, Ph.D., is a Senior Associate at edCount whose work experience focuses on EL assessment and instruction, including practices for ELs with disabilities and students with interrupted formal education. In addition to teaching English as a Foreign Language abroad, Dr. Staehr Fenner spent a decade working within the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) system in Virginia, serving the county's 20,000+ ELs in various capacities. Her roles included: high school level ESOL teacher, Spanish/English Dual Language Assessment Teacher, and ESOL Assessment Specialist. Dr. Staehr Fenner has also participated in recent efforts by both Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) to update professional standards for teachers of ELs, and has served since 2007 as the program coordinator between TESOL and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Laura Kuti, M.A., is an Associate at edCount who has worked at the classroom and state levels to improve instruction and assessment for English learners. Ms. Kuti has taught both Spanish and ESL to ELs of all ages from kindergarten to adults; she has also provided support and instruction to ESL and mainstream instructors at the Virginia Commonwealth University. Ms. Kuti spent three years as a Limited English Proficient (LEP) Assessment Specialist at the Virginia Department of Education, where she oversaw all aspects of developing, designing and implementing Virginia's English language proficiency (ELP) test, and processed statewide ELP results to inform instruction and classroom practices.